- She's making for Bullock harbour.
The boatman nodded towards the north of the bay with some disdain.
- There's five fathoms out there, he said. It'll be swept up that way when the tide comes in about one. It's nine days today." (U1.669)
They followed the winding path down to the creek. Buck Mulligan stood on a stone, in shirtsleeves, his unclipped tie rippling over his shoulder. A young man clinging to a spur of rock near him moved slowly frogwise his green legs in the deep jelly of the water." (U1.675)
- Down in Westmeath. With the Bannons.
- Still there? I got a card from Bannon. Says he found a sweet young thing down there. Photo girl he calls her.
- Snapshot, eh? Brief exposure." (U1.682)
Buck Mulligan made way for him to scramble past and, glancing at Haines and Stephen, crossed himself piously with his thumbnail at brow and lips and breastbone." (U1.687)
- Ah, go to God! Buck Mulligan said.
- Going over next week to stew. You know that red Carlisle girl, Lily?
- Spooning with him last night on the pier. The father is rotto with money.
- Is she up the pole?
- Better ask Seymour that.
- Seymour a bleeding officer! Buck Mulligan said." (U1.695)
- Redheaded women buck like goats." (U1.704)
- My twelfth rib is gone, he cried. I'm the Übermensch. Toothless Kinch and I, the supermen." (U1.707)
- Are you going in here, Malachi?
- Yes. Make room in the bed." (U1.710)
- Later on, Haines said. Not on my breakfast.
Stephen turned away.
- I'm going, Mulligan, he said.
- Give us that key, Kinch, Buck Mulligan said, to keep my chemise flat.
Stephen handed him the key. Buck Mulligan laid it across his heaped clothes." (U1.717)
Stephen threw two pennies on the soft heap. Dressing, undressing." (U1.724)
- He who stealeth from the poor lendeth to the Lord. Thus spake Zarathustra." (U1.726)
Horn of a bull, hoof of a horse, smile of a Saxon.
- The Ship, Buck Mulligan cried. Half twelve.
- Good, Stephen said." (U1.730)
A variant on 'Three things to be distrusted: a cow's horn, a dog's tooth, and a horse's hoof' heard by Dr. P. W. Joyce in his youth among the people of Limerick. It is an example of an 'Irish triad', a common Irish device of grouping items in threes that dates back to the 9c. [suggested by Michael Reidy, a visitor to the site]
Iubilantium te virginum.
The priest's grey nimbus in a niche where he dressed discreetly." (U1.735)
A voice, sweettoned and sustained, called to him from the sea. Turning the curve he waved his hand. It called again. A sleek brown head, a seal's, far out on the water, round." (U1.739)