- What sort of a kip is this? he said. I told her to come after eight.
- We can drink it black, Stephen said thirstily. There's a lemon in the locker.
- O, damn you and your Paris fads! Buck Mulligan said. I want Sandycove milk." (U1.337)
- That woman is coming up with the milk.
- The blessings of God on you! Buck Mulligan cried, jumping up from his chair. Sit down. Pour out the tea there. The sugar is in the bag. Here, I can't go fumbling at the damned eggs.
He hacked through the fry on the dish and slapped it out on three plates, saying:" (U1.344)
- That's folk, he said very earnestly, for your book, Haines. Five lines of text and ten pages of notes about the folk and the fishgods of Dundrum." (U1.363)
- Can you recall, brother, is mother Grogan's tea and water pot spoken of in the Mabinogion or is it in the Upanishads?
- I doubt it, said Stephen gravely.
- Do you now? Buck Mulligan said in the same tone. Your reasons, pray?
- I fancy, Stephen said as he ate, it did not exist in or out of the Mabinogion." (U1.367)
The Dun Emer press-room, ca. 1903. Elizabeth Corbet Yeats is at the iron hand-press; Beatrice Cassidy, standing, is rolling out ink, and Esther Ryan is correcting proofs at the table. The rear wall of the press-room displays a mural in pastel by the poet and artist AE (George Russell).
Buck Mulligan's face smiled with delight.
- Charming! he said in a finical sweet voice, showing his white teeth and blinking his eyes pleasantly. Do you think she was? Quite charming!" (U1.375)
- For old Mary Ann
She doesn't care a damn
But, hising up her petticoats..." (U1.380)
The doorway was darkened by an entering form.
- The milk, sir!
- Come in, ma'am, Mulligan said. Kinch, get the jug." (U1.388)
Irish milksellers in a late 19c. SV.
She praised the goodness of the milk, pouring it out. Crouching by a patient cow at daybreak in the lush field, a witch on her toadstool, her wrinkled fingers quick at the squirting dugs. They lowed about her whom they knew, dewsilky cattle. Silk of the kine and poor old woman, names given her in old times." (U1.397)
- It is indeed, ma'am, Buck Mulligan said, pouring milk into their cups.
- Taste it, sir, she said.
He drank at her bidding." (U.1.404)
- I am, ma'am, Buck Mulligan answered.
- Look at that now, she said." (U1.415)
- Do you understand what he says? Stephen asked her.
- Is it French you are talking, sir? the old woman said to Haines." (U1.418)
- Irish, Buck Mulligan said. Is there Gaelic on you?
- I thought it was Irish, she said, by the sound of it. Are you from the west, sir?
- I am an Englishman, Haines answered.
- He's English, Buck Mulligan said, and he thinks we ought to speak Irish in Ireland.
- Sure we ought too, the old woman said, and I'm ashamed I don't speak the language myself. I'm told it's a grand language by them that knows." (U1.426)
- A miracle!
He passed it along the table towards the old woman, saying:
- Ask nothing more of me, sweet.
All I can give you I give.
Stephen laid the coin in her uneager hand.
- We'll owe twopence, he said.
- Time enough, sir, she said, taking the coin. Time enough. Good morning, sir.
She curtseyed and went out, followed by Buck Mulligan's tender chant:
- Heart of my heart, were it more,
More would be laid at your feet." (U1.451)
- Seriously, Dedalus. I'm stony. Hurry out to your school kip and bring us back some money. Today the bards must drink and junket. Ireland expects that every man this day will do his duty." (U1.465)
"England expects that every man will do his duty" was a message sent in signal by Lord Horatio Nelson to the British fleet, minutes before the Battle of Trafalgar, October 21st 1805. The battle of Trafalgar was the most decisive naval engagement of the Napoleonic Wars. Lord Nelson lost his life in it.
In 1811, the tenor John Braham composed a song, 'The Death of Nelson', that immediately became immensely popular throughout the British Empire. It included the words of the signal, but they were altered to "England expects that every man this day will do his duty" to fit the metre. Mulligan quotes the adulterated version.