Haines, who had been laughing guardedly, walked on beside Stephen and said:
— We oughtn't to laugh, I suppose. He's rather blasphemous. I'm not a believer myself, that is to say. Still his gaiety takes the harm out of it somehow, doesn't it? What did he call it? Joseph the Joiner?" (U1.600)
- O, Haines said, you have heard it before?
- Three times a day, after meals, Stephen said drily." (U1.608)
- There is only one sense of the word, it seems to me, Stephen said.
Haines stopped to take out a smooth silver case in which twinkled a green stone." (U1.611)
— Thank you, Stephen said, taking a cigarette. Haines helped himself and snapped the case to. He put it back in his sidepocket and took from his waistcoatpocket a nickel tinderbox, sprang it open too, and, having lit his cigarette, held the flaming spunk towards Stephen in the shell of his hands.
— Yes, of course, he said, as they went on again. Either you believe or you don't, isn't it? Personally I couldn't stomach that idea of a personal God. You don't stand for that, I suppose?
— You behold in me, Stephen said with grim displeasure, a horrible example of free thought.
He walked on, waiting to be spoken to, trailing his ashplant by his side. Its ferrule followed lightly on the path, squealing at his heels. My familiar, after me, calling, Steeeeeeeeeeeephen! A wavering line along the path. They will walk on it tonight, coming here in the dark." (U1.616)
Stephen turned and saw that the cold gaze which had measured him was not all unkind.
- After all, I should think you are able to free yourself. You are your own master, it seems to me." (U1.633)
- Italian? Haines said.
A crazy queen, old and jealous. Kneel down before me.
- And a third, Stephen said, there is who wants me for odd jobs." (U1.638)
Pope Pius X (1835 - 1914), born Giuseppe Melchiorre Sarto, was Pope 1903 - 1914. His pontificate was noted for its conservative theology and reforms in liturgy and church law. He was canonized in 1954.
A PC of Edward VII and Alexandra as imperial Irish monarchs, surrounded by the symbols of Ireland, the Viceregal Lodge, Kingstown, and the City Arms and motto of Dublin.
— I can quite understand that, he said calmly. An Irishman must think like that, I daresay. We feel in England that we have treated you rather unfairly. It seems history is to blame.
The proud potent titles clanged over Stephen's memory the triumph of their brazen bells: et unam sanctam catholicam et apostolicam ecclesiam: the slow growth and change of rite and dogma like his own rare thoughts, a chemistry of stars." (U1.645)
Hear, hear! Prolonged applause. Zut! Nom de Dieu!
- Of course I'm a Britisher, Haines's voice said, and I feel as one. I don't want to see my country fall into the hands of German jews either. That's our national problem, I'm afraid, just now." (1.661)
- She's making for Bullock harbour.
The boatman nodded towards the north of the bay with some disdain.
- There's five fathoms out there, he said. It'll be swept up that way when the tide comes in about one. It's nine days today." (U1.669)
They followed the winding path down to the creek. Buck Mulligan stood on a stone, in shirtsleeves, his unclipped tie rippling over his shoulder. A young man clinging to a spur of rock near him moved slowly frogwise his green legs in the deep jelly of the water." (U1.675)