- God! he said quietly. Isn't the sea what Algy calls it: a great sweet mother? The snotgreen sea. The scrotumtightening sea. Epi oinopa ponton." (U1.75)
Stephen stood up and went over to the parapet." (U1.79)
- Our mighty mother! Buck Mulligan said.
He turned abruptly his grey searching eyes from the sea to Stephen's face." (U1.82)
- Someone killed her, Stephen said gloomily.
- You could have knelt down, damn it, Kinch, when your dying mother asked you, Buck Mulligan said. I'm hyperborean as much as you. But to think of your mother begging you with her last breath to kneel down and pray for her. And you refused. There is something sinister in you.... " (U1.88)
- But a lovely mummer! he murmured to himself. Kinch, the loveliest mummer of them all!
He shaved evenly and with care, in silence, seriously.
Stephen, an elbow rested on the jagged granite, leaned his palm against his brow and gazed at the fraying edge of his shiny black coatsleeve. Pain, that was not yet the pain of love, fretted his heart." (U1.95)
- Ah, poor dogsbody! he said in a kind voice. I must give you a shirt and a few noserags." (U1.111)
- They fit well enough, Stephen answered.
Buck Mulligan attacked the hollow beneath his underlip.
- The mockery of it, he said contentedly. Secondleg they should be. God knows what poxy bowsy left them off. I have a lovely pair with a hair stripe, grey. You'll look spiffing in them. I'm not joking, Kinch. You look damn well when you're dressed.
- Thanks, Stephen said. I can't wear them if they are grey.
- He can't wear them, Buck Mulligan told his face in the mirror. Etiquette is etiquette. He kills his mother but he can't wear grey trousers.
He folded his razor neatly and with stroking palps of fingers felt the smooth skin.
Stephen turned his gaze from the sea and to the plump face with its smokeblue mobile eyes." (U1.113)
The Ship is a common pub name, the one on this postcard in Bideford (England). Mulligan was at The Ship at 6, Lower Abbey street.
- Look at yourself, he said, you dreadful bard!
Stephen bent forward and peered at the mirror held out to him, cleft by a crooked crack. Hair on end. As he and others see me. Who chose this face for me? This dogsbody to rid of vermin. It asks me too." (U1.130)
Laughing again, he brought the mirror away from Stephen's peering eyes.
- The rage of Caliban at not seeing his face in a mirror, he said. If Wilde were only alive to see you!" (U1.138)
- It is a symbol of Irish art. The cracked lookingglass of a servant." (U1.145)
- It's not fair to tease you like that, Kinch, is it? he said kindly. God knows you have more spirit than any of them." (U1.147)
(Image courtesy of Robert Nicholson)
- Cracked lookingglass of a servant! Tell that to the oxy chap downstairs and touch him for a guinea. He's stinking with money and thinks you're not a gentleman." (U1.152)
The Linati scheme for Telemachus includes the correpondances Stephen - Telemachus; Antinous - Buck Mulligan. Antinous was the most arrogant of Penelope's suitors, and led a campaign to have Telemachus killed.