- It is indeed, ma'am, Buck Mulligan said, pouring milk into their cups.
- Taste it, sir, she said.
He drank at her bidding." (U.1.404)
- I am, ma'am, Buck Mulligan answered.
- Look at that now, she said." (U1.415)
- Do you understand what he says? Stephen asked her.
- Is it French you are talking, sir? the old woman said to Haines." (U1.419)
— Irish, Buck Mulligan said. Is there Gaelic on you?
— I thought it was Irish, she said, by the sound of it. Are you from the west, sir?
— I am an Englishman, Haines answered.
— He's English, Buck Mulligan said, and he thinks we ought to speak Irish in Ireland.
— Sure we ought too, the old woman said, and I'm ashamed I don't speak the language myself. I'm told it's a grand language by them that knows.
— Grand is no name for it, said Buck Mulligan. Wonderful entirely. Fill us out some more tea, Kinch. Would you like a cup, ma'am?" (U1.426)
Haines said to her:
— Have you your bill? We had better pay her, Mulligan, hadn't we?
Stephen filled again the three cups.
— Bill, sir? she said, halting. Well, it's seven mornings a pint at twopence is seven twos is a shilling and twopence over and these three mornings a quart at fourpence is three quarts is a shilling. That's a shilling and one and two is two and two, sir.
Buck Mulligan sighed and, having filled his mouth with a crust thickly buttered on both sides, stretched forth his legs and began to search his trouser pockets." (U1.437)
- A miracle!
He passed it along the table towards the old woman, saying:
- Ask nothing more of me, sweet.
All I can give you I give.
Stephen laid the coin in her uneager hand.
- We'll owe twopence, he said.
- Time enough, sir, she said, taking the coin. Time enough. Good morning, sir.
She curtseyed and went out, followed by Buck Mulligan's tender chant:
- Heart of my heart, were it more,
More would be laid at your feet." (U1.451)
- Seriously, Dedalus. I'm stony. Hurry out to your school kip and bring us back some money. Today the bards must drink and junket. Ireland expects that every man this day will do his duty." (U1.465)
"England expects that every man will do his duty" was a message sent in signal by Lord Horatio Nelson to the British fleet, minutes before the Battle of Trafalgar, October 21st 1805. The battle of Trafalgar was the most decisive naval engagement of the Napoleonic Wars. Lord Nelson lost his life in it.
In 1811, the tenor John Braham composed a song, 'The Death of Nelson', that immediately became immensely popular throughout the British Empire. It included the words of the signal, but they were altered to "England expects that every man this day will do his duty" to fit the metre. Mulligan quotes the adulterated version.
- Our swim first, Buck Mulligan said." (U1.469)
- Is this the day for your monthly wash, Kinch?
Then he said to Haines:
- The unclean bard makes a point of washing once a month." (U1.472)
— That one about the cracked lookingglass of a servant being the symbol of Irish art is deuced good.
Buck Mulligan kicked Stephen's foot under the table and said with warmth of tone:
— Wait till you hear him on Hamlet, Haines.
— Well, I mean it, Haines said, still speaking to Stephen. I was just thinking of it when that poor old creature came in.
— Would I make any money by it? Stephen asked.
Haines laughed and, as he took his soft grey hat from the holdfast of the hammock, said:
— I don't know, I'm sure.
He strolled out to the doorway. Buck Mulligan bent across to Stephen and said with coarse vigour:
— You put your hoof in it now. What did you say that for?" (U1.482)
- I blow him out about you, Buck Mulligan said, and then you come along with your lousy leer and your gloomy jesuit jibes.
- I see little hope, Stephen said, from her or from him." (U1.497)
— And there's your Latin quarter hat, he said.
Stephen picked it up and put it on. Haines called to them from the doorway:
— Are you coming, you fellows?
— I'm ready, Buck Mulligan answered, going towards the door. Come out, Kinch. You have eaten all we left, I suppose.
Resigned he passed out with grave words and gait, saying, wellnigh with sorrow:
— And going forth he met Butterly." (U1.516)