A.E. has been telling some yankee interviewer. Wall, tarnation strike me!" (U9.53)
- And has remained so, one should hope, John Eglinton sedately said. One can see him, a model schoolboy with his diploma under his arm.
He laughed again at the now smiling bearded face." (U9.56)
Dunlop, Judge, the noblest Roman of them all, A. E., Arval, the Name Ineffable, in heaven hight: K. H., their master, whose identity is no secret to adepts. Brothers of the great white lodge always watching to see if they can help. The Christ with the bridesister, moisture of light, born of an ensouled virgin, repentant sophia, departed to the plane of buddhi. The life esoteric is not for ordinary person. O. P. must work off bad karma first. Mrs Cooper Oakley once glimpsed our very illustrious sister H. P. B.'s elemental.
O, fie! Out on't! Pfuiteufel! You naughtn't to look, missus, so you naughtn't when a lady's ashowing of her elemental.
Mr Best entered, tall, young, mild, light. He bore in his hand with grace a notebook, new, large, clean, bright." (U9.63)
After William Blake: "I know of no other Christianity and of no other Gospel than the liberty both of body and mind to exercise the Divine Arts of Imagination. Imagination the real & eternal World of which this Vegetable Universe is but a faint shadow & in which we shall live in our Eternal or Imaginative Bodies, when these Vegetable Mortal Bodies are no more." (Jerusalem, plate 77 'To the Christians')
- Haines is gone, he said.
- Is he?
- I was showing him Jubainville's book. He's quite enthusiastic, don't you know, about Hyde's Lovesongs of Connacht. I couldn't bring him in to hear the discussion. He's gone to Gill's to buy it." (U9.90)
- A deathsman of the soul Robert Greene called him, Stephen said. Not for nothing was he a butcher's son, wielding the sledded poleaxe and spitting in his palms. Nine lives are taken off for his father's one." (U9.129)
1. Polonius - stabbed by Hamlet
2. Ophelia - drowns
3. Laertes - stabbed (with his own poisoned sword) by Hamlet
4. King Claudius - Hamlet stabs him then pours poison down his throat
5. Queen Gertrude - drinks from a poisoned cup
6. Hamlet - stabbed by Laertes with a poisoned weapon
7-8. Rosencrantz & Guildenstern - arrive in England with orders to be killed.
Cranly, I his mute orderly, following battles from afar.
Whelps and dams of murderous foes whom none
But we had spared...
Between the Saxon smile and yankee yawp. The devil and the deep sea." (U9.132)
List! List! O list!
My flesh hears him: creeping, hears.
If thou didst ever...
- What is a ghost? Stephen said with tingling energy. One who has faded into impalpability through death, through absence, through change of manners." (U9.141)