Anxiously he glanced in the cone of lamplight where three faces, lighted, shone.
See this. Remember." (U9.289)
Young Colum and Starkey. George Roberts is doing the commercial part. Longworth will give it a good puff in the Express. O, will he? I liked Colum's Drover. Yes, I think he has that queer thing genius. Do you think he has genius really? Yeats admired his line: As in wild earth a Grecian vase. Did he? I hope you'll be able to come tonight. Malachi Mulligan is coming too. Moore asked him to bring Haines." (U12.295)
(Image courtesy of the ZJJF)
Nookshotten. Now your best French polish.
- Thank you very much, Mr Russell, Stephen said, rising. If you will be so kind as to give the letter to Mr Norman...
- O, yes. If he considers it important it will go in. We have so much correspondence.
- I understand, Stephen said. Thanks.
Good ild you. The pigs' paper. Bullockbefriending." (U9.314)
Stephen sat down.
The quaker librarian came from the leavetakers. Blushing, his mask said:
— Mr Dedalus, your views are most illuminating.
He creaked to and fro, tiptoing up nearer heaven by the altitude of a chopine, and, covered by the noise of outgoing, said low:" (U9.322)
Image used by kind permission of Tim & Christine O'Neill.
Alarmed face asks me. Why did he come? Courtesy or an inward light?
- Where there is a reconciliation, Stephen said, there must have been first a sundering.
- Yes." (U9.331)
In early 1597, Shakespeare bought 'New Place,' the second biggest house in Stratford (one of the purchase documents survives), and may have done some renovations to it.
The door closed behind the outgoer.
Rest suddenly possessed the discreet vaulted cell, rest of warm and brooding air.
A vestal's lamp.
Here he ponders things that were not: what Caesar would have lived to do had he believed the soothsayer: what might have been: possibilities of the possible as possible: things not known: what name Achilles bore when he lived among women." (U9.343)
They are still. Once quick in the brains of men. Still: but an itch of death is in them, to tell me in my ear a maudlin tale, urge me to wreak their will.
- Certainly, John Eglinton mused, of all great men he is the most enigmatic. We know nothing but that he lived and suffered. Not even so much. Others abide our question. A shadow hangs over all the rest." (U9.352)
He rested an innocent book on the edge of the desk, smiling his defiance. His private papers in the original. Ta an bad ar an tir. Taim imo shagart. Put beurla on it, littlejohn.
Quoth littlejohn Eglinton:
- I was prepared for paradoxes from what Malachi Mulligan told us but I may as well warn you that if you want to shake my belief that Shakespeare is Hamlet you have a stern task before you.
Bear with me.
Stephen withstood the bane of miscreant eyes, glinting stern under wrinkled brows. A basilisk. E quando vede l'uomo l'attosca." (U9.362)
Has the wrong sow by the lug. He is in my father. I am in his son.
- That mole is the last to go, Stephen said, laughing.
John Eglinton made a nothing pleasing mow." (U9.387)
- The spirit of reconciliation, the quaker librarian breathed.
—There can be no reconciliation, Stephen said, if there has not been a sundering.
Said that." (U9.393)