"he informed Stephen about a fellow by the name of Bags Comisky that he said Stephen knew well out of Fullam's, the shipchandler's, bookkeeper there that used to be often round in Nagle's back with O'Mara and a little chap with a stutter the name of Tighe." (U16.205)
"Anyhow, he was lagged the night before last and fined ten bob for a drunk and disorderly and refusing to go with the constable." (U16.209)
"Mr Bloom in the meanwhile kept dodging about in the vicinity of the cobblestones near the brazier of coke in front of the corporation watchman's sentrybox, who, evidently a glutton for work, it struck him, was having a quiet forty winks for all intents and purposes on his own private account while Dublin slept." (U16.211)
"- He's down on his luck. He asked me to ask you to ask somebody named Boylan, a billsticker, to give him a job as a sandwichman." (U16.234)
Sandwichmen were a common (and inexpensive) way to advertise. On this PC, we see 4 sandwichmen walking in Grafton street.
I have enlarged a section of the PC above, to show the 4 sandwichmen.
"I don't mean to presume to dictate to you in the slightest degree but why did you leave your father's house?
- To seek misfortune, was Stephen's answer.
- I met your respected father on a recent occasion, Mr Bloom diplomatically returned. Today, in fact, or, to be strictly accurate, on yesterday. Where does he live at present? I gathered in the course of conversation that he had moved.
- I believe he is in Dublin somewhere, Stephen answered unconcernedly. Why?" (U16.254)
"his rescue of that man from certain drowning by artificial respiration and what they call first aid at Skerries," (U16.292)
"Mr Bloom and Stephen entered the cabman's shelter, an unpretentious wooden structure, where, prior to then, he had rarely, if ever, been before; the former having previously whispered to the latter a few hints anent the keeper of it, said to be the once famous Skin-the-Goat, Fitzharris, the invincible, though he couldn't vouch for the actual facts, which quite possibly there was not one vestige of truth in." (U16.320)
"The keeper of the shelter in the middle of this tête-à-tête put a boiling swimming cup of a choice concoction labelled coffee on the table and a rather antediluvian specimen of a bun, or so it seemed, after which he beat a retreat to his counter, Mr Bloom determining to have a good square look at him later on so as not to appear to... for which reason he encouraged Stephen to proceed with his eyes while he did the honours by surreptitiously pushing the cup of what was temporarily supposed to be called coffee gradually nearer him." (U16.354)
"He turned his body half round, shut up his right eye completely, then he screwed his features up some way sideways and glared out into the night with an unprepossessing cast of countenance.
- Pom! he then shouted once.
The entire audience waited, anticipating an additional detonation, there being still a further egg." (U16.395)
"-Pom! he shouted twice.
Egg two evidently demolished, he nodded and winked, adding bloodthirstily:" (U16.401)
"- Buffalo Bill shoots to kill,
Never missed nor he never will." (U16.402)
"A silence ensued till Mr Bloom for agreeableness' sake just felt like asking him whether it was for a marksmanship competition like the Bisley.
- Beg pardon, the sailor said.
- Long ago? Mr Bloom pursued without flinching a hairsbreadth.
- Why, the sailor replied, relaxing to a certain extent under the magic influence of diamond cut diamond, it might be a matter of ten years. He toured the wide world with Hengler's Royal Circus. I seen him do that in Stockholm." (U16.406)
"- Curious coincidence, Mr Bloom confided to Stephen unobtrusively.
- Murphy's my name, the sailor continued, D.B. Murphy, of Carrigaloe. Know where that is?
- Queenstown Harbour, Stephen replied." (U16.414)
"- That's right, the sailor said. Fort Camden and Fort Carlisle. That's where I hails from. I belongs there. That's where I hails from. My little woman's down there. She's waiting for me, I know. For England," (U16.418)"
"home and beauty. She's my own true wife I haven't seen for seven years now, sailing about." (U16.420)