For comparison, the Royal Procession for King Georges V's ascension to the throne in 1911. The windows are thronged with sightseers. Along the route, the white poles designate various regiments (Scotland, India, Canada...)
Dr. Henry Henry was bishop of Down and Connor in 1904. From the CE 1909: The diocese of Down was founded in St Patrick's time. St Patrick (d. 493), was buried there; subsequently the remains of St Brigid were also brought from Kildare, as were some relics of St Columba from Iona. St Fergus (d. 583) is named as first Bishop of Down. The diocese of Connor was founded in 480 by St Macnisse, and St Malachy was bishop there (1124). The dioceses of Down and Connor were permanently joined in 1451. In 1670, as an effect of the Reformation, wars, and penal laws, in the whole of Down and Connor there were but 2500 Catholic families. When at length the pressure of penal legislation was removed Catholicism revived rapidly. In the period 1810-40 no less than forty new Catholic churches were built. The progress thus made under Dr. Crolly (1825-35) and Dr. Denvir (1835-65) was continued under Dr. Dorrian (1865-86) and Dr. MacAlister (1886-95); but none showed greater energy and zeal than Dr. Henry (1895 - 1908). This prosperity is largely due to the rapid growth of Belfast. Statistics (1908): Parishes, 60; secular clergy, 167; regular clergy, 21; churches 114; colleges, 2; monasteries, 5; convents 16; total Catholic population (1901), 156,693; total population of all creeds, 671,266. The episcopal residence is in Belfast.
Primate of All-Ireland is the title held by the 2 Archbishops of Armagh (Roman Catholic, and Church of Ireland faiths). In 1904, Michael Cardinal Logue (1840 - 1924) was the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland (1887 - 1924). Born in Kilmacrennan in Co. Donegal, the son of a blacksmith, he studied in Maynooth College (1856 - 1866). He was ordained as a priest (1866), having already been appointed to the chairs of Theology and Belles Lettres in the Irish College in Paris. He remained in Paris until 1874 when he returned to Ireland. He was Administrator (= parish priest) of an Irish Catholic parish, then Chairs of Irish and Dogmatic Theology in Maynooth College (1876), then Bishop of Raphoe (1879). Logue was involved in fundraising during the 1879 Irish famine, and heavily involved in the Irish temperance movement. He became Archbishop of Armagh (1887), then cardinal (1893, under Leo XIII). Logue took over the completion of St. Patrick's Cathedral in Armagh, which was dedicated on July 24th 1904.
William Alexander (1824 - 1911) belonged to the Church of Ireland. In 1904, he was Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland (1896 - 1911). He was born in Derry, the third child of Rev Robert Alexander. He was educated at Tonbridge School and Brasenose College Oxford. After holding several livings in Northern Ireland, he was made bishop of Derry and Raphoe (1867) then Archbishop of Armagh (1896). He was the last bishop to sit in the House of Lords before the Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland in 1871. An eloquent preacher and the author of numerous theological works, he is best known to literature as a master of dignified and animated verse. His poems were collected in 1887 under the title 'St Augustine's Holiday and other Poems.'
The various objects Bloom is wearing or carrying are part of the British regalia (Crown Jewels), used during the coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey and at various state functions. The original regalia was likely assembled by Edward the Confessor (St Edward, reigned 1042-66); he is seen on this card in a crimson velvet mantle trimmed with ermine. Most items were destroyed, altered or replaced over the centuries, notably when Cromwell ordered that the regalia be 'totally broken' following the execution of Charles I (1649). Most of the ones in current use were made for the coronation of Charles II (1661), though a few older pieces remain.