"- He's a perverted jew, says Martin, from a place in Hungary and it was he drew up all the plans according to the Hungarian system." (U12.1635)
"- Isn't he a cousin of Bloom the dentist? says Jack Power.
- Not at all, says Martin. Only namesakes. His name was Virag, the father's name that poisoned himself. He changed it by deedpoll, the father did." (U12.1638)
A plea for donations of winter clothes to The Children's Hospital on Upper Temple street lists, among the hospital's staff, M.J. Bloom, Surgeon Dentist. R.C.S.I. = Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland.
"- That's the new Messiah for Ireland! says the citizen. Island of saints and sages!
- Well, they're still waiting for their redeemer, says Martin. For that matter so are we.
- Yes, says J. J., and every male that's born they think it may be their Messiah." (U12.1642)
"And every jew is in a tall state of excitement, I believe, till he knows if he's a father or a mother.
- Expecting every moment will be his next, says Lenehan.
- O, by God, says Ned, you should have seen Bloom before that son of his that died was born." (U12.1647)
A similar 'joke' is used in this British PC to caricature the Irish.
"I met him one day in the south city markets..." (U12.1651)
"buying a tin of Neave's food six weeks before the wife was delivered." (U12.1652)
A period ad for Neave's Food.
I was surprised that Bloom would buy food for his unborn baby, then found out that Neave's was also marketed for pregnant and for nursing women. This ad is from the ILN (1899). Many of Neave's ads boasted that it was the choice of the Russian Imperial family.
"- En ventre sa mere, says J.J.
- Do you call that a man? says the citizen.
- I wonder did he ever put it out of sight, says Joe." (U12.1653)
"-- Well, there were two children born anyhow, says Jack Power.
- And who does he suspect? says the citizen.
Gob, there's many a true word spoken in jest. One of those mixed middlings he is." (U12.1656)
"(Lying up in the hotel Pisser was telling me once a month with headache like a totty with her courses. Do you know what I'm telling you? It'd be an act of God to take a hold of a fellow the like of that and throw him in the bloody sea. Justifiable homicide, so it would. Then sloping off with his five quid without putting up a pint of stuff like a man. Give us your blessing. Not as much as would blind your eye.
- Charity to the neighbour, says Martin. But where is he? We can't wait." (U12.1659)
"- A wolf in sheep's clothing, says the citizen. That's what he is. Virag from Hungary! Ahasuerus I call him. Cursed by God." (U12.1666)
"-- Have you time for a brief libation, Martin? says Ned.
- -Only one, says Martin. We must be quick. J. J. and S.
- -You, Jack? Crofton? Three half ones, Terry.
- -Saint Patrick would want to land again at Ballykinlar and convert us, says the citizen, after allowing things like that to contaminate our shores.
- -Well, says Martin, rapping for his glass. God bless all here is my prayer.
- -Amen, says the citizen.
- -And I'm sure He will, says Joe." (U12.1668)
"And at the sound of the sacring bell, headed by a crucifer with acolytes, thurifers, boatbearers, readers, ostiarii, deacons and subdeacons, the blessed company drew nigh of mitred abbots and priors and guardians and monks and friars: the monks of Benedict of Spoleto," (U12.1676)
"Carthusians and Camaldolesi, Cistercians and Olivetans, Oratorians and Vallombrosans, and the friars of Augustine, Brigittines, Premonstratensians, Servi, Trinitarians, and the children of Peter Nolasco:" (U12.1679)
"and therewith from Carmel mount" (U12.1682)
Mount Carmel (from the Hebrew 'Karem El' = vineyards of God) is a coastal mountain range in then Palestine (now Israel) overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. It is mentioned in the Bible and is considered a holy site. On it occurred the miracles attending the competition between Baal and the Israelite God YHWH, after which the priests of Baal were put to death by the order of the prophet Elijah (1Kings 18).
Tradition (undocumented) maintained that a community of Jewish hermits has lived on Mt Carmel ever since the time of Elijah.