- Not at all, says Martin. Only namesakes. His name was Virag, the father's name that poisoned himself. He changed it by deedpoll, the father did." (U12.1638)
A plea for donations of winter clothes to The Children's Hospital on Upper Temple street lists, among the hospital's staff, M.J. Bloom, Surgeon Dentist. R.C.S.I. = Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland.
- Well, they're still waiting for their redeemer, says Martin. For that matter so are we.
- Yes, says J. J., and every male that's born they think it may be their Messiah." (U12.1642)
- Expecting every moment will be his next, says Lenehan.
- O, by God, says Ned, you should have seen Bloom before that son of his that died was born." (U12.1647)
A similar 'joke' is used in this British PC to caricature the Irish.
A period ad for Neave's Food.
- Do you call that a man? says the citizen.
- I wonder did he ever put it out of sight, says Joe." (U12.1653)
- And who does he suspect? says the citizen.
Gob, there's many a true word spoken in jest. One of those mixed middlings he is." (U12.1656)
- Charity to the neighbour, says Martin. But where is he? We can't wait." (U12.1659)
- -Only one, says Martin. We must be quick. J. J. and S.
- -You, Jack? Crofton? Three half ones, Terry.
- -Saint Patrick would want to land again at Ballykinlar and convert us, says the citizen, after allowing things like that to contaminate our shores.
- -Well, says Martin, rapping for his glass. God bless all here is my prayer.
- -Amen, says the citizen.
- -And I'm sure He will, says Joe." (U12.1668)
Mount Carmel (from the Hebrew 'Karem El' = vineyards of God) is a coastal mountain range in then Palestine (now Israel) overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. It is mentioned in the Bible and is considered a holy site. On it occurred the miracles attending the competition between Baal and the Israelite God YHWH, after which the priests of Baal were put to death by the order of the prophet Elijah (1Kings 18).
The Carmelite order, a major Catholic order, was founded on Mt Carmel in the 12c. Prefixed to the 1281 Carmelite Constitution was this statement: "From the times when the prophet Elias (Elijah) and Eliseus dwelt devoutly on Mt Carmel, holy fathers both of the old and new Testament lived praiseworthy lives in holy penitence by the fountain of Elias in a holy succession uninterruptedly maintained."