Jingle a tinkle jaunted.
Bloom heard a jing, a little sound. He's off. Light sob of breath Bloom sighed on the silent bluehued flowers. Jingling. He's gone. Jingle. Hear.
- Love and war, Ben, Mr Dedalus said. God be with old times." (U11.453)
- A symposium all his own, Mr Dedalus said. The devil wouldn't stop him. He was a crotchety old fellow in the primary stage of drink.
- God, do you remember? Ben bulky Dollard said, turning from the punished keyboard. And by Japers I had no wedding garment.
They laughed all three. He had no wed. All trio laughed. No wedding garment." (U11.466)
He wandered back to the bar to the lost chord pipe. Bald Pat carried two diners' drinks, Richie and Poldy. And Father Cowley laughed again." (U11.476)
— You did, averred Ben Dollard. I remember those tight trousers too. That was a brilliant idea, Bob.
Father Cowley blushed to his brilliant purply lobes. He saved the situa. Tight trou. Brilliant ide.
— I knew he was on the rocks, he said. The wife was playing the piano in the coffee palace on Saturdays for a very trifling consideration and who was it gave me the wheeze she was doing the other business? Do you remember? We had to search all Holles street to find them till the chap in Keogh's gave us the number. Remember?
Ben remembered, his broad visage wondering.
— By God, she had some luxurious operacloaks and things there." (U11.480)
- Merrion square style. Balldresses, by God, and court dresses. He wouldn't take any money either. What? Any God's quantity of cocked hats and boleros and trunkhose. What?" (U11.492)
Merrion square was a classy neighborhood. This PC states: 'Daniel O'Connell and many other noted men have lived in this famous square.'
Jingle jaunted down the quays. Blazes sprawled on bounding tyres.
Liver and bacon. Steak and kidney pie. Right, sir. Right, Pat." (U11.496)
For more on this expression, see
- What's this her name was? A buxom lassy. Marion...?
- Yes. Is she alive?
- And kicking.
- She was a daughter of...
- Daughter of the regiment.
- Yes, begad. I remember the old drummajor." (U11.500)
- Irish? I don't know, faith. Is she, Simon?
Puff after stiff, a puff, strong, savoury, crackling." (U11.509)
He puffed a pungent plumy blast." (U11.512)
Bloom with Goulding, married in silence, ate. Dinners fit for princes." (U11.519)