Bending, she nipped a peak of skirt above her knee. Delayed. Taunted them still, bending, suspending, with wilful eyes.
Smack. She let free sudden in rebound her nipped elastic garter smackwarm against her smackable woman's warmhosed thigh." (U11.409)
Sawdust, as I learned from the Police Gazette (1880), was used to make paddings called 'symmetries'. They were worn mostly by stage performers, both female (legs) and male (shoulder and thighs), to enhance their figure. The smacking sound of Miss Douce's garter against her thigh is evidence that there is No sawdust there.
- You're the essence of vulgarity, she in gliding said.
Boylan, eyed, eyed. Tossed to fat lips his chalice, drankoff his chalice tiny, sucking the last fat violet syrupy drops. He spellbound eyes went after, after her gliding head as it went down the bar by mirrors, gilded arch for ginger ale, hock and claret glasses shimmering, a spiky shell, where it concerted, mirrored, bronze with sunnier bronze.
Yes, bronze from anearby.
- ...sweetheart, goodbye!" (U11.416)"
He slid his chalice brisk away, grasped his change.
- Wait a shake, begged Lenehan, drinking quickly. I wanted to tell you. Tom Rochford...
- Come on to blazes, said Blazes Boylan, going.
Lenehan gulped to go.
- Got the horn or what? he said. Wait. I'm coming.
He followed the hasty creaking shoes but stood by nimbly by the threshold, saluting forms, a bulky with a slender." (U11.426)
- Eh? How do? How do? Ben Dollard's vague bass answered, turning an instant from Father Cowley's woe. He won't give you any trouble, Bob. Alf Bergan will speak to the long fellow. We'll put a barleystraw in that Judas Iscariot's ear this time.
Sighing Mr Dedalus came through the saloon, a finger soothing an eyelid.
- Hoho, we will, Ben Dollard yodled jollily. Come on, Simon. Give us a ditty. We heard the piano." (U11.435)
Jingle a tinkle jaunted.
Bloom heard a jing, a little sound. He's off. Light sob of breath Bloom sighed on the silent bluehued flowers. Jingling. He's gone. Jingle. Hear.
- Love and war, Ben, Mr Dedalus said. God be with old times." (U11.453)
- Poor old Goodwin was the pianist that night, Father Cowley reminded them. There was a slight difference of opinion between himself and the Collard grand.
- A symposium all his own, Mr Dedalus said. The devil wouldn't stop him. He was a crotchety old fellow in the primary stage of drink.
- God, do you remember? Ben bulky Dollard said, turning from the punished keyboard. And by Japers I had no wedding garment.
They laughed all three. He had no wed. All trio laughed. No wedding garment." (U11.460)
He wandered back to the bar to the lost chord pipe. Bald Pat carried two diners' drinks, Richie and Poldy. And Father Cowley laughed again." (U11.476)
- Merrion square style. Balldresses, by God, and court dresses." (U11.492)
Merrion square was a classy neighborhood. This PC states: 'Daniel O'Connell and many other noted men have lived in this famous square.'
- What's this her name was? A buxom lassy. Marion...?
- Yes. Is she alive?
- And kicking.
- She was a daughter of...
- Daughter of the regiment.
- Yes, begad. I remember the old drummajor." (U11.500)
- Irish? I don't know, faith. Is she, Simon?
Puff after stiff, a puff, strong, savoury, crackling." (U11.509)
He puffed a pungent plumy blast." (U11.512)