The Jaunting Car was a popular mode of transportation in 19c. Dublin. There are several songs celebrating 'The Irish Jaunting Car' such as reproduced on this PC. The oldest I came across was written in the 1850s by the American entertainer Valentine Vousden; its tune was later borrowed for the Confederate song 'Bonnie Blue Flag;' it is listed in 'Beadle's Dime Song Book' from 1860.
- Did she fall or was she pushed? he asked her." (U11.331)
- Ask no questions and you'll hear no lies.
Like lady, ladylike.
Blazes Boylan's smart tan shoes creaked on the barfloor where he strode. Yes, gold from anear by bronze from afar. Lenehan heard and knew and hailed him:" (U11.334)
Between the car and window, warily walking, went Bloom, unconquered hero. See me he might. The seat he sat on: warm. Black wary hecat walked towards Richie Goulding's legal bag, lifted aloft, saluting.
— And I from thee ....
— I heard you were round, said Blazes Boylan.
He touched to fair miss Kennedy a rim of his slanted straw. She smiled on him. But sister bronze outsmiled her, preening for him her richer hair, a bosom and a rose." (U11.340)
- What's your cry? Glass of bitter? Glass of bitter, please, and a sloegin for me. Wire in yet?
Not yet. At four he. All said four.
Cowley's red lugs and bulging apple in the door of the sheriff's office. Avoid. Goulding a chance. What is he doing in the Ormond? Car waiting. Wait." (U11.349)
— O! O! jerked Lenehan, gasping at each stretch. O!
But easily she seized her prey and led it low in triumph.
— Why don't you grow? asked Blazes Boylan." (U11.360)
- Fine goods in small parcels.
That is to say she. Neatly she poured slowsyrupy sloe.
- Here's fortune, Blazes said.
He pitched a broad coin down. Coin rang." (U11.365)
- Fortune, he wished, lifting his bubbled ale.
- Sceptre will win in a canter, he said.
- I plunged a bit, said Boylan winking and drinking. Not on my own, you know. Fancy of a friend of mine." (U11.372)
- What time is that? asked Blazes Boylan. Four?
Lenehan, small eyes ahunger on her humming, bust ahumming, tugged Blazes Boylan's elbowsleeve.
— Let's hear the time, he said.
The bag of Goulding, Collis, Ward led Bloom by ryebloom flowered tables. Aimless he chose with agitated aim, bald Pat attending, a table near the door. Be near." (U11.382)
Sparkling bronze azure eyed Blazure's skyblue bow and eyes.
— Go on, pressed Lenehan. There's no-one. He never heard.
— ... to Flora's lips did hie.
High, a high note pealed in the treble clear." (U11.392)
- Please, please.
He pleaded over returning phrases of avowal.
- I could not leave thee...
- Afterwits, Miss Douce promised coyly.
- No, now, urged Lenehan. Sonnez la cloche! O do! There's no-one.
She looked. Quick. Miss Kenn out of earshot. Sudden bent. Two kindling faces watched her bend. " (U11.398)