Pwee! Little wind piped wee.
True men. Lid Ker Cow De and Doll. Ay, ay. Like you men." (U11.54)
Where bronze from anear? Where gold from afar? Where hoofs?" (U11.56)
- Is that her? asked Miss Kennedy.
Miss Douce said yes, sitting with his ex, pearl grey and eau de Nil." (U11.65)
When all agog Miss Douce said eagerly:
- Look at the fellow in the tall silk.
- Who? Where? gold asked more eagerly.
- In the second carriage, Miss Douce's wet lips said, laughing in the sun. He's looking. Mind till I see.
She darted, bronze, to the backmost corner, flattening her face against the pane in a halo of hurried breath." (U12.68)
- He's killed looking back.
- O wept! Aren't men frightful idiots?
Miss Kennedy sauntered sadly from bright light, twining a loose hair behind an ear. Sauntering sadly, gold no more, she twisted twined a hair. Sadly she twined in sauntering gold hair behind a curving ear.
— It's them has the fine times, sadly then she said.
Bloowho went by by Moulang's pipes bearing in his breast the sweets of sin, by Wine's antiques, in memory bearing sweet sinful words, by Carroll's dusky battered plate, for Raoul." (U11.76)
A boot boy, or simply boots = in England, a low ranking male servant, often a teenager, in charge of polishing boots and shoes, carrying luggage, and performing assorted menial tasks.
- There's your teas, he said.
Miss Kennedy with manners transposed the teatray down to an upturned lithia crate, safe from eyes, low.
- What is it? loud boots unmannerly asked." (U11.89)
— Your beau, is it?
A haughty bronze replied:
— I'll complain to Mrs de Massey on you if I hear any more of your impertinent insolence.
— Imperthnthn thnthnthn, bootssnout sniffed rudely, as he retreated as she threatened as he had come.
- Most aggravating that young brat is. If he doesn't conduct himself I'll wring his ear for him a yard long.
Ladylike in exquisite contrast.
- Take no notice, Miss Kennedy rejoined." (U11.103)
Yes, bronze from anear, by gold from afar, heard steel from anear, hoofs ring from afar, and heard steelhoofs ringhoof ringsteel." (U11.108)