- See? he said. Say it's turn six. In here, see. Turn Now On.
He slid it into the left slot for them. It shot down the groove, wobbled a while, ceased, ogling them: six.' (U10.465)
As discovered by Eamonn Finn (and reported in the JJ Broadsheet June 2008) this is the device being shown.
[Image courtesy of Eamonn Finn]
— See? he said. See now the last one I put in is over here: Turns Over. The
impact. Leverage, see?
He showed them the rising column of disks on the right." (U10.473)
An ad from Pearson's Magazine 1905, suggesting false teeth were a precious commodity!
Eamonn found the patent application #27,617 titled "Improvements in Programme Indicators for Theatres of Varieties, Music Hall and the like", for an invention by Thomas Henry Rochford (19 Wellington Quay, Dublin, Engineer), dated 1908, detailing its construction, mechanism, and usefulness.
He slid in a disk for himself: and watched it shoot, wobble, ogle, stop: four. Turn Now On.
- I'll see him now in the Ormond, Lenehan said, and sound him." (U10.481)
- Do, Tom Rochford said. Tell him I'm Boylan with impatience.
- Goodnight, M'Coy said abruptly, when you two begin..." (U10.484)
— But how does it work here, Tommy? he asked.
— Tooraloo, Lenehan said. See you later.
He followed M'Coy out across the tiny square of Crampton court.
— He's a hero, he said simply.
— I know, M'Coy said. The drain, you mean.
— Drain? Lenehan said. It was down a manhole." (U10.488)
another charming soubrette with a dauby smile...
- The act of a hero, he said." (U10.497)
- This way, he said, walking to the right. I want to pop into Lynam's to see Sceptre's starting price. What's the time by your gold watch and chain?
M'Coy peered into Marcus Tertius Moses' sombre office, then at O'Neill's clock.
- After three, he said." (U10.504)
They went up the steps and under Merchants' arch." (U10.517)
- There he is, Lenehan said.
- Wonder what he's buying, M'Coy said, glancing behind.
- Leopoldo or the Bloom is on the Rye, Lenehan said.
- He's dead nuts on sales, M'Coy said. I was with him one day and he bought a book from an old one in Liffey street for two bob." (U520)