Nosey Flynn pursed his lips.
- He doesn't buy cream on the ads he picks up. You can make bacon of that.
- How so? Davy Byrne asked, coming from his book." (U8.953)
- He's in the craft, he said.
- Do you tell me so? Davy Byrne said.
- Very much so, Nosey Flynn said. Ancient free and accepted order.He's an excellent brother. Light, life and love, by God. They give him a leg up. I was told that by a-- well, I won't say who." (U8.958)
- O, it's a fine order, Nosey Flynn said. They stick to you when you're down. I know a fellow was trying to get into it, but they're as close as damn it. By God they did right to keep the women out of it." (U8.965)
- There was one woman, Nosey Flynn said, hid herself in a clock to find out what they do be doing. But be damned but they smelt her out and swore her in on the spot a master mason. That was one of the Saint Legers of Doneraile.
Davy Byrne, sated after his yawn, said with tearwashed eyes:" (U8.969)
- God Almighty couldn't make him drunk, Nosey Flynn said firmly. Slips off when the fun gets too hot. Didn't you see him look at his watch? Ah, you weren't there. If you ask him to have a drink first thing he does he outs with the watch to see what he ought to imbibe. Declare to God he does.
- There are some like that, Davy Byrne said. He's a safe man, I'd say.
- He's not too bad, Nosey Flynn said, snuffling it up. He's been known to put his hand down too to help a fellow. Give the devil his due." (U8.976)
His hand scrawled a dry pen signature beside his grog.
- I know, Davy Byrne said.
- Nothing in black and white, Nosey Flynn said." (U8.984)
- Day, Mr Byrne.
- Day, gentlemen.
They paused at the counter." (U8.989)
- I'm sitting anyhow, Nosey Flynn answered.
- Well, what'll it be? Paddy Leonard asked.
- I'll take a stone ginger, Bantam Lyons said.
- How much? Paddy Leonard cried. Since when, for God' sake? What's yours, Tom?
- How is the main drainage? Nosey Flynn asked, sipping." (U8.994)
- Would I trouble you for a glass of fresh water, Mr Byrne? he said.
- Certainly, sir." (U8.1001)
- Lord love a duck, he said, look at what I'm standing drinks to! Cold water and gingerpop! Two fellows that would suck whisky off a sore leg." (U8.1005)
- Zinfandel is it? Nosey Flynn asked." (U8.1008)
- That cursed dyspepsia, he said before drinking.
- Breadsoda is very good, Davy Byrne said.
Tom Rochford nodded and drank." (U8.1010)