"with porch covered by parasitic plants (ivy or Virginia creeper), halldoor, olive green, with smart carriage finish and neat doorbrasses, stucco front with gilt tracery at eaves and gable, rising, if possible, upon a gentle eminence with agreeable prospect from balcony with stone pillar parapet over unoccupied and unoccupyable interjacent pastures and standing in 5 or 6 acres of its own ground," (U17.1506)
"at such a distance from the nearest public thoroughfare as to render its houselights visible at night above and through a quickset hornbeam hedge of topiary cutting," (U17.1512)
"situate at a given point not less than 1 statute mile from the periphery of the metropolis, within a time limit of not more than 15 minutes from tram or train line (e.g., Dundrum, south, or Sutton, north, both localities equally reported by trial to resemble the terrestrial poles in being favourable climates for phthisical subjects), the premises to be held under feefarm grant, lease 999 years," (U17.1514)
"the messuage to consist of 1 drawingroom with baywindow (2 lancets), thermometer affixed, 1 sittingroom, 4 bedrooms, 2 servants' rooms, tiled kitchen with close range and scullery, lounge hall fitted with linen wallpresses," (U17.1519)
"fumed oak sectional bookcase containing the Encyclopaedia Britannica and New Century Dictionary," (U17.1522)
"transverse obsolete medieval and oriental weapons dinner gong, alabaster lamp, bowl pendant, vulcanite automatic telephone receiver with adjacent directory," (U17.1524)
"handtufted Axminster carpet" (U15.1526)
Axminster Carpets ia a Devon based English manufacturer of carpets, founded in 1755 by weaver Thomas Whitty.
"with cream ground and trellis border, loo table with pillar and claw legs, hearth with massive firebrasses and ormolu mantel chronometer clock, guaranteed timekeeper with cathedral chime," (U17.1526)
Axminster carpets became the benchmark for wealthy aristocrats to have in their country homes and town houses, between 1755 and 1835. In 1800, the company wove a large carpet for the Ottoman Sultan Mahmud II, that was displayed in the Topkapi. In 1828, fire destroyed the weaving looms. In 1835 Samuel Whitty (the founder's grandson) declared bankruptcy. Blackmores of Wilton, Wiltshire, near Salisbury, bought the remaining stock and looms and extended their business to include hand-knotted carpets, which were still called Axminsters.
"barometer with hygrographic chart," (U17.1529)
"comfortable lounge settees and corner fitments, upholstered in ruby plush with good springing and sunk centre, three banner Japanese screen" (U17.1530)
"and cuspidors (club style, rich winecoloured leather, gloss renewable with a minimum of labour by use of linseed oil and vinegar)" (U15.1531)
"and pyramidically prismatic central chandelier lustre,"
"bentwood perch with fingertame parrot (expurgated language), embossed mural paper at 10/- per dozen with transverse swags of carmine floral design and top crown frieze, staircase, three continuous flights at successive right angles, of varnished clear grained oak, treads and risers, newel, balusters and handrail, with stepped up panel dado, dressed with camphorated wax: bathroom, hot and cold supply, reclining and shower: water closet on mezzanine provided with opaque singlepane oblong window, tipup seat, bracket lamp, brass tierod and brace, armrests, footstool and artistic oleograph on inner face of door: ditto, plain:" (U17.1534)
"servants' apartments with separate sanitary and hygienic necessaries for cook, general and betweenmaid (salary, rising by biennial unearned increments of £2, with comprehensive fidelity insurance, annual bonus (£1) and retiring allowance (based on the 65 system) after 30 years' service), pantry, buttery, larder, refrigerator, outoffices, coal and wood cellarage with winebin (still and sparkling vintages) for distinguished guests, if entertained to dinner (evening dress), carbon monoxide gas supply throughout." (U17.1543)
"What additional attractions might the grounds contain?
As addenda, a tennis and fives court," (U17.1551)
"a shrubbery, a glass summerhouse with tropical palms, equipped in the best botanical manner, " (U17.1552)