- home and beauty." (U10.246)
A plump bare generous arm shone, was seen, held forth from a white petticoatbodice and taut shiftstraps. A woman's hand flung forth a coin over the area railings. It fell on the path." (U10.250)
- There, sir." (U10.254)
- Did you put in the books? Boody asked.
Maggy at the range rammed down a greyish mass beneath bubbling suds twice with her potstick and wiped her brow.
- They wouldn't give anything on them, she said." (U10.258)
Body stamped her foot and threw her satchel on the table.
- Bad cess to her big face! she cried.
Katey went to the range and peered with squinting eyes.
- What's in the pot? she asked.
- Shirts, Maggy said." (U10.266)
- Crickey, is there nothing for us to eat?
Katey, lifting the kettlelid in a pad of her stained skirt, asked:
- And what's in this?
A heavy fume gushed in answer.
- Peasoup, Maggy said.
- Where did you get it? Katey asked.
- Sister Mary Patrick, Maggy said." (U10.273)
- Give us it here.
Maggy poured yellow thick soup from the kettle into a bowl. Katey, sitting opposite Boody, said quietly, as her fingertip lifted to her mouth random crumbs:
- A good job we have that much. Where's Dilly?
- Gone to meet father, Maggy said." (U10.283)
- Our father who art not in heaven." (U10.290)