"- Imperium romanum, J.J. O'Molloy said gently. It sounds nobler than British or Brixton. The word reminds one somehow of fat in the fire.
Myles Crawford blew his first puff violently towards the ceiling.
- That's it, he said. We are the fat. You and I are the fat in the fire." (U7.478)
"We haven't got the chance of a snowball in hell." (U7.481)
"THE GRANDEUR THAT WAS ROME
- Wait a moment, professor MacHugh said, raising two quiet claws. We mustn't be led away by words, by sounds of words. We think of Rome, imperial, imperious, imperative." (U6.483)
"He extended elocutionary arms from frayed stained shirtcuffs, pausing:
- What was their civilisation? Vast, I allow: but vile. Cloacae: sewers." (U7.487)
"The Jews in the wilderness and on the mountaintop said: It is meet to be here. Let us build an altar to Jehovah." (U7.489)
"The Roman, like the Englishman who follows in his footsteps, brought to every new shore on which he set his foot (on our shore he never set it) only his cloacal obsession. He gazed about him in his toga and he said: It is meet to be here." (U7.491)
"Let us construct a watercloset.
- Which they accordingly did do, Lenehan said. Our old ancient ancestors, as we read in the first chapter of Guinness's, were partial to the running stream." (U7.494)
"- They were nature's gentlemen, J.J. O'Molloy murmured. But we have also Roman law.
- And Pontius Pilate is its prophet, professor MacHugh responded." (U7.499)
"- Do you know that story about chief baron Palles? J.J. O'Molloy asked. It was at the royal university dinner. Everything was going swimmingly...
- First my riddle, Lenehan said. Are you ready?
Mr O'Madden Burke, tall in copious grey of Donegal tweed, came in from the hallway. Stephen Dedalus, behind him, uncovered as he entered.
— Entrez, mes enfants! Lenehan cried.
— I escort a suppliant, Mr O'Madden Burke said melodiously. Youth led by Experience visits Notoriety." (U7.502)
"—How do you do? the editor said, holding out a hand. Come in. Your governor is just gone." (U7.510)
"Lenehan said to all:
— Silence! What opera resembles a railwayline? Reflect, ponder, excogitate, reply.
Stephen handed over the typed sheets, pointing to the title and signature.
— Who? the editor asked. Bit torn off.
— Mr Garrett Deasy, Stephen said.
— That old pelters, the editor said. Who tore it? Was he short taken?
On swift sail flaming
From storm and south
He comes, pale vampire,
Mouth to my mouth." (U7.512)
"- Good day, Stephen, the professor said, coming to peer over their shoulders. Foot and mouth? Are you turned...?
SHINDY IN WELLKNOWN RESTAURANT
— Good day, sir, Stephen answered blushing. The letter is not mine. MrGarrett Deasy asked me to..." (U7.526)
"- O, I know him, Myles Crawford said, and I knew his wife too. The bloodiest old tartar God ever made. By Jesus, she had the foot and mouth disease and no mistake! The night she threw the soup in the waiter's face in the Star and Garter. Oho!" (U7.532)
"A woman brought sin into the world." (U7.536)
"For Helen, the runaway wife of Menelaus, ten years the Greeks. O'Rourke, prince of Breffni." (U7.536)