He offered a cigarette to the professor and took one himself. Lenehan promptly struck a match for them and lit their cigarettes in turn. J.J. O'Molloy opened his case again and offered it.
- Thanky vous, Lenehan said, helping himself." (U7.464)
- 'Twas rank and fame that tempted thee,
'Twas empire charmed thy heart.
The professor grinned, locking his long lips.
- Eh? You bloody old Roman empire? Myles Crawford said.
He took a cigarette from the open case." (U7.469)
Myles Crawford blew his first puff violently towards the ceiling.
- That's it, he said. We are the fat. You and I are the fat in the fire." (U7.478)
- Wait a moment, professor MacHugh said, raising two quiet claws. We mustn't be led away by words, by sounds of words. We think of Rome, imperial, imperious, imperative." (U6.483)
- What was their civilisation? Vast, I allow: but vile. Cloacae: sewers." (U7.487)
- Which they accordingly did do, Lenehan said. Our old ancient ancestors, as we read in the first chapter of Guinness's, were partial to the running stream." (U7.494)
- And Pontius Pilate is its prophet, professor MacHugh responded." (U7.499)
- First my riddle, Lenehan said. Are you ready?
Mr O'Madden Burke, tall in copious grey of Donegal tweed, came in from the hallway. Stephen Dedalus, behind him, uncovered as he entered.
— Entrez, mes enfants! Lenehan cried.
— I escort a suppliant, Mr O'Madden Burke said melodiously. Youth led by Experience visits Notoriety." (U7.502)
— Silence! What opera resembles a railwayline? Reflect, ponder, excogitate, reply.
Stephen handed over the typed sheets, pointing to the title and signature.
— Who? the editor asked. Bit torn off.
— Mr Garrett Deasy, Stephen said.
— That old pelters, the editor said. Who tore it? Was he short taken?
On swift sail flaming
From storm and south
He comes, pale vampire,
Mouth to my mouth." (U7.512)