"the industrious blind." (U6.318)
There were 4 Asylums for the Blind in Dublin: * The Richmond National Institution for Industrious Blind, on Upper Sackville street, that the carriage is passing. * St Mary's Blind Asylum for Girls at Merrion, shown in this PC; it was founded 1858, run by the Sisters of Charity, and had 200 inmates; the curriculum included Braille and typewriting, singing and music instruments, basketry, weaving and knitting. * St Joseph's Catholic Male Blind Asylum at Drumcondra Castle; it was founded 1859, run by the Carmelite Brothers, and had 100 inmates. * The Molyneaux Asylum.