"there was that lodge meeting on about those lottery tickets after Goodwin's concert in the supper room or oakroom of the Mansion house." (U8.184)
The Mansion House (on Dawson street) is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin. It was built in 1710 by Joshua Dawson (merchant, builder, and developer of Dawson and Nassau streets) for himself. In 1715, the Dublin City Corporation, looking for an official residence for the lord mayor, purchased it for £3,500 plus a yearly rent, each Christmas, of 40s and 6 lbs of refined sugar. In return, Dawson agreed to add on a room for civic receptions - the famous Oak Room.