Sir John Gray (1815 - 1875) was the proprietor of the Freeman's Journal, M.P. for Kilkenny city, and Chairman of the Dublin Corporation Water Works Committee from 1863 to 1875. In this latter role, he was instrumental in procuring, from Co. Wicklow, a clean water supply to Dublin and suburbs.
His statue on Sackville street stood between the monument to O'Connell and Nelson's pillar. The work of Irish artist Foley, it was unveiled in 1879.