"From the sundial towards James's Gate walked Mr Kernan," (U10.718)
St. James's Gate is the Guinness brewery, leased in 1759 by Arthur Guinness for 9,000 years at £45 per year. It became the largest brewery in Ireland in 1838, and was the largest in the world in 1914. During the 19c. and early 20c., Guinness owned most of the buildings in the surrounding area, including many streets of offices, or housing for employees. The brewery had its own power plant. Although no longer the largest brewery overall, it still is the largest brewery of stout in the world.